Exciting Experience in Canberra

Monday, March 28, 2011

Hi everyone, I'm a third-year student majoring in Software Engineering in University of Canberra. At first, I totally had no idea of what it would be, how to survive living by myself, not even how to make friends once I arrived in Canberra. But time flies by, like a blink of my eyes and I just realized that it's been 15 months since I've been here. I've experienced lots of new things since I came here, and working in Canberra is one of those interesting things.

My first job was as a waitress in Belconnen Food Court, but yeah I quit on the fourth month since I found other exciting jobs. I applied for Student Ambassador position in University of Canberra http://www.canberra.edu.au/student-ambassadors, and for the PALS Leader for Business Statistics in UC as well. All the application well went, and I went to both interview and couple of practice tests for PALS Leader position. Everything went well, then by the last summer vacation (January 2011), I successfully got training for both position. It was really amazing since I will be doing something for myself and others in university.

Week after the training was really awesome since there was an orientation week (or what we usually call o-week) followed by the teaching weeks. I was contributing in the o-week as the Student Ambassador who gave the campus tour (say yeay for the tour along with the orange T-shirt and cowboy hat), and helping new students about some enquiries regarding the uni life. It felt really great while you walk around the uni and people keep asking for your help. You will fell useful by looking at those new faces, and don't forget to put a big shiny smile towards them.

That's not the end of the Student Ambassador duty. We still have shifts in Marketing and International office (7A43), maintaining the blog http://ucinternational.blogspot.com/, and posting some particular events on UC International Student Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/unican.intl and http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=27958891867which are important for all of UC students (domestic and international ones). It seemed like I have my own office along with the computer, phone, and other colleagues working together. :)

The other job I'm doing at the moment is PALS Leader for Business Statistics, which I have my own sessions helping other students to get a better knowledge of one particular unit. It was hard at the very first beginning but it seems alright as time passed. It is fun to do whatever you like plus get some idea about how real life gonna be. Well, if I have chance to extend my course, I definitely will do it in University of Canberra and get more experience working in a conducive and friendly environment like UC does.

Tips to get more experience especially for looking a job in UC :
- Check the University of Canberra site regularly http://www.canberra.edu.au/careers and make sure that you don't miss any important position.
- Have heaps of friends (domestic and international), because they probably have ideas where to look for a job.
- Do your best and keep focus on your studies as well. :)

Best of luck and hope to see you around UC real soon..

Cheers,
Ody

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
UC International © 2011 | Designed by Bingo Cash, edited byChee Ching,University of Canberra